With files from Rugby Canada Communications; Pictured - Brock Webster, Oshawa Vikings
LANGFORD, BC – Coach Fred Asselin has announced his roster for the Auckland School 7s tournament next month in New Zealand.
The tournament, which is comprised of 35 teams in three categories (Open Boys, Open Girls and U15 Girls), takes place on December 16th in New Zealand, but Canada will have training run outs against top opposition on the 14th and 15th as well as the one day tournament.
“This team was selected through a combination of Rugby Canada elite staff and a few selectors across the country. They are considered some of the best young talent we have; There are a lot of talented kids in the 16-18 years old bracket in Canada and we have to make sure these kids get high level tournaments and exposure to see them develop,” added Asselin.
“This tournament in the Southern Hemisphere will do just that. Eight returnees have already represented Canada at the Youth Commonwealth Games in the Bahamas this past summer. So we have a team that as already gained experience in a high profile tournament. They also performed quite well with a respectable 4th place in a harsh environment defeating teams like Fiji.
“This tournament is part of the pathway for our youth to eventually play for the NSM7s. This age group as the Youth Olympic coming in October 2018 and the players are gaining experience in the tournaments leading up to that pinnacle event.
“My challenge as a coach is to get them gelling, so they can exploit their full potential. The history of Canadian Sevens is quite bright, so believing is actually quite realist. We can beat these big teams. These young guys have the opportunity to make history every time they go out on the pitch and this time is no different,” added Asselin.
- Juma Amisi, Strathcona Druids (Edmonton, AB)
- Jarvis Dashkewytch, Castaway Wanderers (Tsawwassen, BC)
- Kaleb Delaney, Oakville Crusaders (Oakville, ON)
- Lachlan Kratz, Castaway Wanderers (Victoria, BC)
- Sherwin Phillips, Sir Wifred Laurier Collegiate (Toronto, ON)
- Austin Pinnell, Nor’westers (Edmonton, AB)
- EJ Rerri, Crusaders (Oakville, ON)
- Jack Shaw, Crusaders (Oakville, ON)
- Henry Stevenson, Toronto Nomads (Toronto, ON)
- Reece Tudor-Jones, Cowichan RFC (Victoria, BC)
- Bobby Turley, Balmy Beach RFC (Toronto, ON)
- Brock Webster, Oshawa Vikings (Uxbridge, ON)
Head Coach: Fred Asselin
Manager: Meaghan Howat