Re. Importance of Winter High Performance Program
From: Paul Connelly
High Performance Manager
What a great summer season for our High Performance Programs!
In reviewing player/parent/coach feedback surveys based on the last 12 months of our HP Program, it was a virtual consensus that the work our athletes put in during our winter program (Core Skill Development and Structured Strength and Conditioning Programs) was credited with establishing the foundation for our summer success. It is with this in mind, that we have “doubled down” on taking our winter HP Program to the next level.
Please find attached “The Program” for the 2018/19 season. Link to "The Program Power Point"
GOAL #1: Major Focus on STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING FOR RUGBY
- The August tour to Ulster (Ireland) provided two major take-away for our leadership team:
- At the U16 and U17 age groups (male), our core skills were on par or superior to the competition. However, when observing the Ulster U18 program, the athletes were significantly BIGGER, FASTER AND STRONGER than our provincial athletes. In discussions with the Ulster Management Group, their biggest focus (U14 to U18) was on developing a “Physical Foundation” so that their athletes could compete at the next level.
- The ETS Strength and Conditioning App provides a structured rugby specific training program with a focus on “Functional Movement”. By training daily with the APP and integrating Combine Testing at 8-week intervals, the athletes are able to monitor their progress in comparison to their peers and national standards set by Rugby Canada. For athletes not currently working with a Strength and Conditioning provider, the APP is a must. Structured work-out programs designed specifically for the rugby athlete at a cost of $1 per day ($200 for the 6-month program). If you presently have a S&C provider and do not wish to participate in the ETS program, please apply the $200 discount code to your “Program” registration.
GOAL #2: CORE SKILL and POSITION SPECIFIC SKILL DEVELOPMENT
- The Rugby Ontario High Performance Program has built its foundation on “ONE INTEGRATED CALANDAR”
- Combine Testing (Individual Skill Development) and Core Skill Sessions on separate weekends from our 7’s High Performance Programs.
- Working in partnership with Club and Academy providers so that our athletes can work close to home to develop their skills during times that they are not engaged with Rugby Ontario staff (more touches).
- Providing opportunities for local coach development at sessions located across Ontario thus improving grass roots rugby.
- With 3 locations across Ontario (Guelph, Whitby and Ottawa) supported by ETS Strength and Conditioning and our provincial age-grade staff, we are now able to provide elite development opportunities for all future Ontario players.
- Full Program (with ETS APP): $475
- Core/Individual Skill Development Program: $275 (without ETS APP)
After reviewing “The Program” power-point, please do not hesitate to contact us at your earliest convenience with any questions.
Paul Connelly High Performance Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT THE ONTARIO BLUES
The Ontario Blues program is the high performance representative program for male and female rugby players in Ontario. Rugby Ontario is represented at the provincial level by the Ontario Blues. The program includes representative teams from Under-15 to Senior in both Women’s and Men’s Fifteens and Under-18 Men's and Women's Sevens. Specifically, the program is designed to develop and showcase rugby players for Canadian representative national teams.
ABOUT RUGBY ONTARIO
Rugby Ontario is the provincial sports governing body responsible for the organization of rugby in Ontario. Our mission is to establish a stronger identity for rugby in Ontario by promoting the sport’s core values and by fostering a culture of inclusiveness and excellence on and off the field of play.
To learn more, visit http://www.rugbyontario.com/
WANT MORE INFORMATION?
High Performance Manager