Rugby Ontario Fall 7’s Series and High-Performance Pathway 2019/20
September 4th, 2019
(WHITBY, ON) - Following the Rugby Canada mandate of “developing rugby players”, Rugby Ontario feels that it is very important that our 7’s and 15’s programs work hand in hand in developing elite rugby players. With this in mind, the following is a TIME-LINE OUTLINE for the 2019/20 INTEGRATED SCHEDULE.
Rugby Ontario Fall 7’s Series
- U17 Boys and Girls (2002 and 2003)
- Over-age players (2001) NOT engaged in a college or university program may participate in this age group as a developmental platform.
- (Playing down form link below / Medical Exam is not necessary) Click Here
- U15 Boys and Girls (2004 and 2005)
- U17 Boys and Girls (2002 and 2003) High School Seniors (Grade 11 and 12)
- U15 Boys and Girls (2004 and 2005) High School Juniors (Grade 9 and 10)
- U13 Boys and Girls (2006 and 2007) *Engaged in Branch Union 7’s Tournaments
Rationale for Age Bands:
- The majority of our U18 Rugby Athletes will be playing College/University rugby in fall.
- The U15 and U17 fall age bands will be the foundation for the selection of U16 and U18 Provincial Programs in both 7’s and 15’s for the 2020 Spring/Summer Competition season(s).
- The U15 / U17 age groups align with the High School age bands for both the 7’s and 15’s seasons. (Junior and Senior)
- Sept. 14th and 15th: TIRF 7’s at Fletchers Field
- Sept. 21st and 22nd: Belleville 7’s at Mary Ann Sills Park
- Sept. 28th and 29th: WHITU 7’s at Twin Elm Rugby Park
- October 5th and 6th: Q-META CUP at Brantford Harlequins RFC
- October 26th and 27th: Rugby Ontario Junior 7’s Championship (Location TBA)
- October 30th: Ontario High School Championships (Location TBA)
High-Performance Selection Structure
- Elite Tournaments will be the pathway for identification of our TOP 48 at each age group / We understand that some "outliers" may be discovered in the club division.
- (U15 Boys and U15 Girls) / (U17 Boys and U17 Girls)
- Training Day #1: Sunday November 3rd (Location: West/Southwest)
- Training Day #2: Sunday November 24th (Location: Central)
- Training Day #3: Sunday December 8th (Location: East)
*Teams will then be divided into 4 Squads at each age group. These teams will then compete against each other at a Regional Selection Tournament Weekend on January 11th and 12th (Location to be determined) From this tournament, we will select the U16 and U18 Boys and Girls Provincial Teams.
*This early selection date will allow players to plan their spring 7’s competition season and engage with other Elite Academy tours.
Provincial 7’s Program Training Dates- Locations and times to be announced.
- January 26th
- February 9th
- February 16th
- March 8th
- March 29th
Competitions for Provincial Teams
- U18 Girls engaged in National Level Competition (Similar to 2019 in BC)
- U18 Boys engaged in National Level Competition (Co-ordinated with RO and RC)
- U16 Boys and Girls: Topical 7’s
*Cost for this program will be in the $1500-$2000 range (less depending on locations).
Pathway: Ontario Summer Games 7’s London 2020
Rugby Ontario will continue to support the Ontario Summer Games as a Regional Based Branch Union Model with a transparent selection process:
- TRU/EORU/NRU and SWORU will all produce representative teams at the U15 and U17 Level for Boys and Girls.
- Selection Process: Players will be evaluated for participation on these teams as follows:
- Identification from the Fall 7’s Series (both Elite and Club).
- Set Open Try-out Dates for each Branch Team
- Teams can be developed with Winter/Spring Tours with their respective programs.
- Athletes that had not previously been selected for Rugby Ontario Provincial teams can be re-evaluated for potential Canada Selection during these Summer Games.
- Cost of the program will be set by branch teams / should be approximately $200-350 per branch.
For More Information about summer games teams, please contact the program leads:
Southwest Boys- Stu Bailie- email@example.com
Southwest Girls- Ryan Clancy- firstname.lastname@example.org
Niagara Boys- Stephen Gittens- email@example.com
Niagara Girls- Ian Fitzgerald- firstname.lastname@example.org
Toronto Boys- Don Maillett- email@example.com
Toronto Girls- John Pryce- firstname.lastname@example.org
Eastern Ontario- Sean Dunleavy- email@example.com
Khalil Ajram- firstname.lastname@example.org for any general inquries.
Focus on Strength and Conditioning for our Elite Athletes
As a major part of our HP Athlete Development Program, Rugby Ontario have set the goal for our athletes to achieve 150 supervised S&C sessions per year. Each HP Athlete will be asked to share with Rugby Ontario the location of their training facility and a contact coach who will be monitoring progress. Our partners at ETS will be co-ordinating Base-Line Testing for athletes in the up-coming weeks. These results will be added to the summer session IPP produced for each athlete. (if you are new to the HP program, we will develop an IPP for you).
ABOUT THE ONTARIO BLUES
The Ontario Blues program is the high performance representative program for male and female rugby players in Ontario. Rugby Ontario is represented at the provincial level by the Ontario Blues. The program includes representative teams from Under-15 to Senior in both Women’s and Men’s Fifteens and Under-18 Men's and Women's Sevens. Specifically, the program is designed to develop and showcase rugby players for Canadian representative national teams.
ABOUT RUGBY ONTARIO
Rugby Ontario is the provincial sports governing body responsible for the organization of rugby in Ontario. Our mission is to establish a stronger identity for rugby in Ontario by promoting the sport’s core values and by fostering a culture of inclusiveness and excellence on and off the field of play.
To learn more, visit http://www.rugbyontario.com/
WANT MORE INFORMATION?
Communications and Marketing Coordinator - Rugby Ontario
647-560-4790 x 1006