Statement on COVID-19: Contingency Planning
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 14, 2020
(WHITBY, ON) - Rugby Ontario has been actively working on COVID-19 contingency planning over the past few weeks. The administration is taking all necessary precautions to manage expectations throughout the rugby community, while remaining very hopeful that things will improve and permit a return to rugby in 2020. The following is an overview of Rugby Ontario’s contingency planning:
- The priority is to protect the safety and well-being of community members during this pandemic and in preparing for a return to rugby.
- Rugby Ontario has taken steps to prepare for a major disruption to the 2020 season which could extend to September, or potentially longer, with no rugby programming in that timeframe.
- This is based on the indefinite suspension of sanctioned rugby activities, and government and public health directives. The COVID-19 pandemic is impacting each province differently, and while Rugby Canada may lift the suspension, Rugby Ontario must still abide by the Ontario Government and Public Health Ontario directives.
- The Rugby Ontario office is developing scenarios with adjustments to leagues and competitions, high performance programs and community rugby initiatives based on different season timing.
- This will ensure the organization remains financially and administratively viable despite anticipated impact to membership registrations and other forms of revenue.
For additional information related to the impact of COVID-19, Rugby Ontario has developed a Frequently Asked Questions resource.
Update on Registration Categories Still Open
Social Membership Registration
With the national registration system (SportLoMo) temporarily suspended / shut down, Rugby Ontario is encouraging all Member Clubs to consider the use of the Social Membership category that remains available on SportLoMo. Social memberships are a non-playing registration category available to clubs. Your club can utilize this membership category to raise funds to support club operations and administration during these challenging times.
At Rugby Ontario, we are working on a new opportunity for the rugby community to support the future of our organization and keep rugby alive and well in Ontario. Stay tuned for more details on this initiative
Board Member Registration
If your Club or Branch utilizes the Director & Officers Insurance, please ensure that the elected or appointed leaders of your club are registered as Board Members for the 2020 season. In this unprecedented time, it is imperative all clubs take the necessary steps to ensure they are exposed to the Directors & Officers Insurance. Please contact Elisa DiGiulio, Member Services Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require further assistance.
ABOUT THE ONTARIO BLUES
The Ontario Blues program is the high performance representative program for male and female rugby players in Ontario. Rugby Ontario is represented at the provincial level by the Ontario Blues. The program includes representative teams from Under-15 to Senior in both Women’s and Men’s Fifteens and Under-18 Men's and Women's Sevens. Specifically, the program is designed to develop and showcase rugby players for Canadian representative national teams.
ABOUT RUGBY ONTARIO
Rugby Ontario is the provincial sports governing body responsible for the organization of rugby in Ontario. Our mission is to establish a stronger identity for rugby in Ontario by promoting the sport’s core values and by fostering a culture of inclusiveness and excellence on and off the field of play.
To learn more, visit https://www.rugbyontario.com/
WANT MORE INFORMATION?
Communications and Marketing Coordinator - Rugby Ontario